Mysterious truck

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:58 am

Found near a warehouse that was involved in a bank robbery a truck with no license plates raised some suspicion. Fear having tracked down the address of the owner it was time to find some answers.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Nadia sets off to the address that Fear had come up with. It leads her to the edge of the city somewhere in an average looking suburb. Not really rich not really poor, pretty middle class. The house in question is a small yellow number tucked away at the end of a street. It seems pretty normal and well cared for. A small matching garage sits to the right of the house.

No vehicles are parked outside the house and there aren't any obvious signs whether someone is home or not. Fear has yet to arrive.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:17 am

Nadia flies around the house in a slow circle, then lands on the sidewalk across the street to wait for Fear.
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Fear's car pulls up to the address, he gets out and looks around the area before turning to Nadia. "This looks like the place, do you have any method you'd prefer to take as we approach?" Fear locks his car doors as he looks at the property. "I'll be honest, this seems pretty discrete, it could be that nobody's here, but if the homeowner is engaged in some potentially illegal activities, there could be some other miscreants about. If things go poorly, I suggest we buzz off before things go hot, maybe come back with some of the others. In the worst case scenario, we've found some source of information."

He stops and shakes his head, "Sorry, I was rambling, back to the question at hand, how do you want to approach this?"
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Nadia blinks at him for a second. "It's fine. Uh... Let's start with the direct approach, I guess. I mean, it's possible the truck was just stolen, but yeah, let's plan to not start a fight, if possible; I'd rather not draw that much attention and anyway without activating battle functionality I have a taser and that's about it." She rolls the sleeves of her blouse up to her elbows, just in case, and starts across the street to the house. "If no one is home we can decide whether to have a look around..."

I don't think owning a vehicle involved in a crime technically suffices for probable cause, but the whole 'procedure' ship has kinda already sailed... Right?
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Fear nods and follows, "Sounds good, I'll stand nearby, but I'll try to avoid speaking, I find my conversations tend to be... one sided to put it gently." He pats his chest gently, assuring himself that his handgun is properly stowed in his shoulder holster before following Nadia to the house.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Nadia nods to Fear and strides purposefully up to the front door, knocking firmly. She adjusts her posture slightly to put her left side closer to the door, so that the more-human side of her face will make her first impression. Sliding her ORACLE ID out of her pocket, she waits for an answer with hands folded politely in front of her.
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:03 am

Nadia waits for a few moments and gives another firm knock to which there is no answer.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:29 am

Crap! Now what?
Nadia steps over to a window and peers inside, looking for any obvious heat anomalies.
[Notice: d6 {3,4}=3]

"I guess it's like a Tuesday morning, so maybe he's at work. We could come back later, or did you try googling him to find a work address, maybe we could look for him somewhere else?"
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm

"This was the address associated with the VIN of the truck, I can try to find the owner's place of employment. One moment please."

Fear pulls out his modified phone and begins to try to determine the place of employment and work phone number of the homeowner.

[Investigation: d8: (3, 5) = 5]
(I'm assuming computers is used for hacking/digitally trying to dink around with stuff, I assume that the use of a computer to find non-computer related information is probably Investigation. Let me know if I should change it for the future)
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am

Fear sifts through the web trying to find anything on Mr. Gunderson. He finds several people of the same name but none living in Rookfall. Either their Charles Gunderson is from out of town or he has little to no presence on the Internet.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:59 pm

"I've got nothing legal on a Charles Gunderson living in Rookfall. It might be that this is temporary housing for him, or it's a false ID for someone attempting to keep something hidden. We know these people are involved in illicit activities, I'm inclined to believe it's an alias. What are your thoughts?" Fear tucks the device away in his pocket.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 pm

"Hmm..." Nadia frowns and turns back to Fear. "Yeah, that could be. Well, I still kinda think we should talk to him if we track him down but from a consequentialist perspective the only relevant thing is whether this guy is involved, so if we sneak in and poke around--but I don't know what we would be looking for exactly, like do you think he's an Omni employee? If the truck is in the garage that would indicate that it probably wasn't stolen or else how did he know where to find it to get it back."

She walks over to the garage and attempts to open the door, hoping it's not locked.
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 am

Nadia tugs on the handle of the garage door. With a squeak and a rattle the door rolls up revealing an empty garage. Apart from a two metal shelves in the back stuffed with cardboard boxes the space is empty. No vehicle, no tools, and no clutter that usually accompanies a well used garage. The floor is made up of several concrete squares around 4' on each side and the walls are unfinished so that you can see the wood structure and insulation. In the back wall between the two sets of shelves sits a regular door that likely leads to the back yard judging by the sunlight coming through the small window set in it.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Fear glances into the empty garage, "Hmm, that's weird..." Fear walks into the garage and looks around, investigating the cardboard boxes, the floors, the concrete squares for anything that might be hidden or anything of interest in the garage.

[Investigation: d8: (8, 6; 5) = 14]
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:46 pm

While Fear looks around the garage, Nadia checks to see if the front door is locked.
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Shifting the boxes around fear finds an electric number pad built into the wall hidden behind one of the shelves. The glowing LED display indicates it is operational. It's otherwise in fairly new condition with no logos and no obvious connections to anything in the garage.

Nadia walks back to the front door and tries the handle but finds it locked.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:52 am

Hmmm strange Fear looks at the device and shoots off a quick text to Nadia reading "Found a keypad and monitor, I'm going to see if I can glean some information from it.

Fear will read the LED to see what it's asking for and will take a look around the keypad.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:10 pm

The LED display is currently blank emitting only a faint green glow. It appears to be some sort of numeric display much like a calculator or digital clock. Based on the number pad it seems to there to display numbers when pressed. All in all it appears to be a simple security pad.

The keypad is in a black metal casing with simple buttons. It appears to be built into the wall and doesn't appear to have any method to open it or otherwise gain access to it's inner workings.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:15 pm

Nadia, not yet prepared to break into someone's house, feels relieved for a second when she finds the door locked. Good, the last thing I need is to go inside and find the guy's dead body or something and spend the afternoon explaining to Detective Kadir why I his blood on my clothes or whatever.

When she sees Fear's text, she heads back into the garage and examines the device with him.

[Knowledge: Computers d6: (1,1) = critical failure, so this is going well...]
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Fear will attempt to interface with the device to input an accepted string.

[Knowledge: Computers d10: (3, 2) +4(Interface)+4(Code Breaker) = 11]
[Something I saw while reading over Code Breaker is that it says something about requiring a Lockpicking roll, what do you think about that? If so, I still got a 7, because I'm sure interface still applies, but let me know if I'm doing this right or not.]
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Rick on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Nadia inspects the keypad and pokes at a few of the numbers. A few seconds pass and the display flashes red before clearing the numbers and returning to a soft green glow. It's a keypad.

Fear steps over and begins working with the keypad, pulling out his handheld computer he plugs away for a few moments before the display flashes green. A soft rumbling sound is heard from behind and they both turn to find one of the middle squares that makeup the floor begin to sink a few inches and slide to one side. As the rumbling stops they pear into the newly created hole to find a set of metal stairs spiraling into the darkness below.

[Your roll is fine, Code Breaker never gives you an additional +4 however, the only +4 is granted by interface. Code breaker just lets you use that +4 for lockpick rolls on electronic locks, don't need tools, and can make the attempt even if not skilled lockpicking. So either way your roll is just 7.]

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Nadia leans over the edge, peering into the pit. She shrugs. "Well I'm certainly curious," she says.

She switches on her Stealth Mode, her outline becoming blurred and indistinct, and cautiously begins descending the stairs, watching for anything coming into view as she walks.

[Notice d6+2 (1,4)= 6 minus whatever darkness penalty there presumably is]
[I think all Infrared gives is half penalty for reduced light, but I was sort of assuming it would work if the GM wants us to see something and wouldn't if you don't, so.]
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Vaughn on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Fear follows Nadia down the stairs, producing a small L.E.D. flashlight, "It's pretty dark down there, I've got a flashlight in case we want to see down there. I'd like to make sure the coast is clear before blowing our cover."

[Notice: d6: (6, 2; 2) = 8-darkness (flashlight not on yet)]
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by kalindra on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Nadia pauses for a second and glances back at Fear, speaking quietly. "Probably a good idea, though I'm betting that if Gunderson is down here right now he probably heard his secret bad-guy door being opened." She waits just a moment to make sure Fear is ready, then proceeds down the stairs again.
avatar
kalindra

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious truck

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum