Fear Vs ORACLE

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Since its inception decades ago ORACLE has been seemingly above reproach. As far as the public had been told no one has ever hacked the system or been able to weasel out a single identity from the agency created to administer the database. But how safe can it really be? Anything man made can be broken especially in this the age of impossible things!

Well there was one man in town wasn't going to just follow along and play nice without taking a look for himself. The only problem was where to start? Government facilities use secure trunk lines that go directly between buildings with all kinds of security. Would it be easier to try and slip into an ORACLE building? that could be dangerous with all kinds of capes coming and going but then again who would notice another cape among many? Or would it be easier to find another government building using the same trunk line as ORACLE? It might be easier without other Supers watching but it would be a lot more suspicious to be found lurking around one...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Fear, resolved to get down to the bottom of this issue, sits at his computer and considers his options. He resolves to try to trace down the locations of buildings using the same trunk lines as ORACLE before just trying to break into the ORACLE building, figuring a separate government facility may have tighter security, but would potentially be easier for him to access.

He begins typing into his computer, trying to find the online connections between these buildings, seeing if he can detect a connection between an ORACLE building and another government facility nearby Rookfall City.
{{Knowledge: Computers : d10+Wild (d6): (7, 5)=7}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Some fast key work and a few traceroutes later Fear had come up with a map of major trunk lines in Rookfall. Eliminating the ones that didn't connect to an ORACLE facility he was left with only a handful of options:
A Police Station
An FBI Building
A private security company called Aegis Defense Services
or Northview Hospital

They all had their pros and cons, what to choose... what to choose...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Sitting back, Fear thinks to himself, No great options, police, FBI, and the hospital will be staffed fairly heavily 24/7, but the security company might have more computer protection. He stands up, loads his Desert Eagle with nonlethal bullets, prepares a few extra clips, and heads toward Aegis Defense Services. If I'm going to test them, I better test who they're outsourcing to as well.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Needing to get across town to reach the security company Fear gets into his nondescript black sedan and cruises over. Reaching the address fear finds an imposing grey stone building, sharp angles and few windows this place means business, a small visitor parking lot sits out front near the main entrance. A flag pole stands tall at the front of the building a British flag flutters just below the Stars and Stripes. An interesting tidbit Fear files away.

Circling the block the rear of the building is another lot gated and a security guard sits in a booth controlling the gate. A quick glance shows this isn't some pudgy wannabee cop, this guy looks alert and capable. Circling around the building reveals a side door, likely some kind of fire exit, no handle and would probably set off alarms if opened. The visitor lot is open but is almost assuredly monitored by security cameras. There are side streets and an on foot approach is certainly an option. He'd better choose fast because circling the building will raise suspicion sooner rather than later.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 pm

Fear drives up to the visitor lot, pulling out the small transmission device he uses, holding it up to his head as though talking to someone on the phone (the device is roughly shaped as a cell phone). As he does, he sends out the signal to broadcast the image of a man walking into the building dressed in a business suit, holding a briefcase and changing the plate numbers on the car.

{{Smarts for Broadcast: d10, d6 +4 (interface) -2 (encryption) = (6, 2) = 8}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am

A few nerve racking seconds slip by as Fear keeps a close eye on his broadcast device's display. Success, the recordings have been sufficiently altered to show a different person driving up in a car with different plates. Clear for the moment he makes his approach. Moving around to the left side of the building he keeps low and approaches the side door. As expected no handle, it appears to be some kind of emergency exit. A few digital prodes turn up nothing, this door doesn't seem to be connected to the network accessible wirelessly. Likely it's either to low tech to prevent exactly what Fear is attempting now or it's on it's own secure network accessible only through a physical connection. There is a slim chance it's not even set up with an alarm but only a fool would bet on that.

Should he try and push through? make the alarm look like a malfunction? or try another route perhaps trying a bold approach from the front? or hopping the fence out back?

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 am

Fear decides that he doesn't care to take the foolish risk to enter through the front, the likelihood someone is standing behind a fire exit is very slight. Fear dashes through the fire exit, closing it behind him, and immediately looks for the first place to hide, a janitorial closet, the dark corner of an abandoned office, anywhere dark, secluded, and out of the way from people who are looking to investigate.

{{Stealth: d6, Wild: (5, 6) = 6}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:19 am

Taking a moment he finds a way to open the latch and pry the door open from the outside. The moment he triggers the door latch a siren can be heard from inside the building. Diving into the building Fear is momentarily disoriented as the siren is three times as loud inside and accompanied by flashing lights all along the hallway (-2 to trying to hide). Regaining his composure he finds himself standing in a standard looking office hallway, doors on either side seem to lead to private offices and the floor to ceiling windows next to the doors seem to indicate no lights on inside. With no alternative in sight and with the sound of heavy foot steps and yelling getting nearer he dives for the nearest door, throwing it open and stepping inside. Closing the door behind him he stumbles to the darkest corner of the room while his eyes attempt to adjust to the lower levels of light, squeezing into the corner beside a filing cabinet Fear pulls his cape and hood tight around him and waits.

The heavy boots of several individuals can be heard thudding past the office followed by yelling.
"Shit... Shit SHIT SHIT!!!"
"We do not need this right now! You! go check the security footage. The rest of you start lock down procedure, until we know what happened no one gets in or out. I want a full sweep of the building top to bottom."
"Sir Yes Sir!"

As the booted feet start to move back down the hall suddenly the door of the office Fear is hiding in opens. He freezes hoping against hope they don't come inside. His luck prevails, they didn't seem to have spotted him and the door closes as quickly as it opened.[Notice: d6 = 3]

He sits and waits as he hears more doors opening and closing down the hall...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:25 am

Fear catches his breath for a minute, Damn, they're good. I know I should've gone to the hospital. Fear surveys his surroundings, looking for a computer or electronic access. He also listens for the guards, trying to detect how many are nearby.

{{Notice: d6 + wild, (2,4) = 4}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm

As his eyes adjust to the darkness within the office he picks out the shapes of a computer monitor on a desk. Slowly and carefully moving for a closer look he finds the computer tower below the desk, everything is powered off for the moment.

Listening intently he hears the sounds of opening and closing doors moving farther down the hallway at a guess it sounds like only two guards stayed to check the rooms in this hall and they are quickly reaching the far end.

Feeling safe for the time being he begins booting up the computer...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:40 pm

As the computer starts up, Fear makes sure to dim the screen so that it is barely bright. The login window pops up and Fear begins to attempt to gain access to the administrator network so that he can either access the database he wants, or find out where he can do that.

{{Knowledge: Computers, d10+wild+4 (interface/codebreaker): (1, 4) = 8}}

avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Working quickly he finds this computer cannot access the ORACLE data. Searching and searching he can't seem to find the ORACLE trunk access point anywhere on the network. Suddenly a data crawler pops up with results. It seems the employee whose computer this is has received some company wide emails with information about ORACLE procedure. It seems Aegis Defense Services contracts Capes for some of there high end customers. They've been granted access to ORACLE in order to confirm registration status of those they hire. Based on the emails it seems only two people have the access needed, the CEO and the head of security.

Based on this information and a few more probes of the network and it appears that those two must have a hardline connection directly to their terminals that isn't routed through the rest of the network. If Fear is going to get access to the data he needs to get direct access to one of there computers. With access to the network he quickly finds a map of the building and locates both offices. But which one? The CEO's computer is probably easier to hack but the head of security is probably running around looking into the breach right now. Would the CEO be here this late...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Heh, who cares if the CEO's computer is easier to access, think of the challenge... Fear checks the hallway briefly to ensure it is clear, then begins to sneak towards the office of the head of security.

{{Notice: d6 + wild: (4, 2) = 4}}
{{Stealth: d6 + wild: (6, 6), Ace: 4 = 10}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Having upload the map of the building to his own device Fear quickly makes it to the Head of Securities office. Along the way he had to pause a few times to let patrols past and duck into dark corners. One such patrol was having an interesting conversation as they walked past.
"... hit the fan if HE finds out someone is in the building. Personally I'm not looking forward to the months of renovations if that freak starts tearing apart the building, literally, looking for the intruder."
"I know what you mean, did you hear what happened the last time someone forgot to make a new pot of coffee after finishing the last one? On the plus side we got all new appliances..."

Their voices faded off as they made their way out of hearing range. Things just keep getting more interesting. Who is this "He"? Is He in the building now? Oh well I'll be in and out before anyone finds me anyways.

Reaching the head of securities office Fear finds himself faced with a Biometric lock that requires a thumb print and retinal scan. It's obviously not on the wireless network and the housing is a nice steel box with no screws, seams, or hinges to be found...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Keeping himself hidden, Fear pulls out his broadcast device and sets an image of the hallway as normal to send to the cameras. Then, when the next guard patrol goes by, Fear stands up after they pass him, letting out a menacing chuckle. Ah ha ha ha ha. He activates his fear aura, and reaches out with his mental probes to seize the minds of these hapless guards.

{{Broadcast: Smarts d10 + wild, (9, 2) -2 for encryption, +4 for interface/codebreaker = 11}}
{{Mind Control 1: Smarts d10 + wild, (7, 2) = 7}}
{{Mind Control 2: Smarts d10 + wild, (2, 3) = 3}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Confident he has masked his presence in the footage for a short while Fear focuses on the two guards. Emanating a dark force toward the two soldiers he extends his mental grasp expecting easy targets. The first falls under his grasp with barely a fight, these are no mental giants he's dealing with. As his mind's eye turns to the second guard he is met with an unwelcome sight, he doesn't look scared at all. In fact he mostly looks angry.
[Fear, Guard 1: 1 fail, Guard 2: 7 success]
[Mind Control, Guard 1: 3 fail, Guard 2: N/A]

The guard pulls out his gun and points it at the cloaked figure.
"Get down on the ground asshole, I won't ask again! Roy get on the radio let them know we've got the guy, he looks like some kind of cape so be careful."

That didn't go as hoped...

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Fear sighs gently and begins to comply, then says to his thrall Well, I guess you better cuff him. Fear prepares to use his device to transmit the guard's voice in case he happens to go for his radio. Fear keeps his mental probes out in case the guard feels any form of natural fear.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Following the psychic command the controlled guard moves to restrain his unsuspecting comrade. Seeing his friend advance on him the free guard defends himself ducking between the grasping arms and pushing away.

With a quick look between the masked figure and his own companion he reaches for his radio and begins calling for assistance.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm

Fear snaps to it and attempts to intercept the broadcast, replacing the sound coming from the guard's radio, with silence or normal radio chatter.

{{Broadcast: Smarts: d10 + wild: (8, 2) -2 encryption, +4 interference = 10}}

Fear then stalks towards the guard. I really don't have the patience to deal with this right now. Fear produces his Desert Eagle, standing a respectable distance from the guard. He points the weapon at the guard. Stand down, and I promise no one will get hurt, defy me and see how far it gets you.

{{Intimidation: d6 + wild: (5, 2) = 5}}

After the intimidating remark, Fear will once again reach out for the tendrils, feeling for the slightest fear in the guard's mind.

{{Mind Control: d10 + wild: (3, 5) = 5}}
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:06 pm

With so much going on it's a challenge to stop the transmission, the audio gets garbled but they still know something is up. Staring down the barrel of a gun the guard realizes this isn't how he wants to die and a flash of fear rips through him as he realizes this guy is probably insane.

Like a predator to the smell of blood Fear is drawn to the mind of the now scared guard and quickly overwhelms his psychological defenses. Satisfied that both guards are now under his control his attention is drawn to the radio.
"Patrol 2?"
"Check"
"Patrol 3?"
"..."
"Patrol 3!?"

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Fear holsters his weapons and looks to the guards, he points to Roy and says, Roy, open the door please. He then turns to the second guard and says Respond to the radio, say "Check." Fear then turns to enter the security office, allowing the broadcast to portray the guard's voice claiming check on the radio.
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Roy moves to obey first trying the handle with a rattle then using the scanners, which flash red and chirp an electronic negative, he tries the handle once more and then stares at his captor.
In a monotone voice the second guard speaks into the radio,
"Check..."
"God Damn it Patrol 3 when I call for a check I expect a fucking check you got that! Patrol 4!"
"Check Sir!"


It seems Roy doesn't have clearance to access the Head of Securities office. Ordering the second guard, whose name tag identifies him as Jason, to try produces the same result.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Vaughn on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Fear turns to the guards and asks, Who has access to this room? How can I get access to that room? Is anyone watching over the CEO's office?
avatar
Vaughn

Posts : 221
Join date : 2016-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Rick on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

They begin speaking simultaneously talking over each other in a monotone. Fear sighs and tells them both to stop. He then directs his questions to one of them who replies in monotone.
"The Chief of security, his lieutenant Chris, and the CEO are the only ones with access to this office. The only way in is with one of them here or to break down the door. The ceo is in his own office speaking with one of the Capes for hire."

Intrigued by this meeting Fear inquires further learning that the CEO has regular late night meetings with various Supers, this one is a nasty fellow named Wrecking Ball who has a bad temper, super strength, and body armor.

_________________
Archangel - Powers from an otherworldly source, she uses fists and flight to solve most problems.
Notice d4, Parry: 7 +2 from front & left w/shield, Toughness: 5/15 + 4 from front & left Ranged w/shield (10 points of Heavy Armor when active)
Rick - GM and Forum Admin.

Rick
Admin

Posts : 417
Join date : 2016-02-29

http://capesandcowls.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear Vs ORACLE

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum